On the heels of hosting the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, Vancouver is the venue for the 2010 Paralympic Games. In a recent article, reporter Douglas Todd of the Vancouver Sun newspaper wrote what amounts to a 'State of the Union' on disability rights and issues. We preface his article with the most important points he makes:
"With differing degrees of success, disability-rights advocates have urged Canadians and others to:
- Change the way we talk about and understand disabled people.
- Stop stigmatizing people with disabilities.
- Spend tax dollars on including the disabled in all facets of life.
- Force employers to accommodate people with disabilities.
- Oppose voluntary assisted suicide for those with severe disabilities.
- Respond to the connection between disability and poverty.
- Not forget the disabled in developing countries."
Read the full article here.